Last reviewed on by
Thank you so much for your interest in Herpes Activists Networking to Dismantle Stigma (HANDS)! Individual activists, health care providers, consumer and advocacy groups, health organizations, businesses, media, faith-based organizations, educators, and the public health community are invited to participate and to engage in joint action.
Being a Member
Being a member means you agree with the network’s overall goals and values, but you can have your own endeavors, and you do not need to support or agree with the work of all members. HANDS is an autonomous network comprised of individual members and member organizations, and HANDS membership does not imply endorsement of member’s work, policies, initiatives, messages, or services.
Being a member also means you will do your best to meet via conference call once per quarter to discuss upcoming initiatives, membership and network changes, and new projects.
The general goal of our network is to uplift one another’s work, when relevant, provide the public with supportive and accurate resources, while amplifying our individual efforts by working with press and media contacts.
We have two options for membership. Both options allow for full participation in projects, HANDS initiatives, and conferences calls.
Public membership, with listing in our member directory and full voting rights or an associate membership, not named or pictured in publications, and no voting rights.
*Please use our contact form to get in touch with Jenelle at The STI Project, and let her know you would like to become a member. Once you’ve sent an initial inquiry, she will send you a Word document of this agreement, and you can submit your membership agreement and your individual or organizational bio directly to her.
Why would you like to join HANDS?
ORGANIZATION NAME –
ORGANIZATION’S WEBSITE –
DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVE NAME –
PHONE NUMBER –
Type of Organization (Please Underline)
- Government Agency
- For-Profit or Private Industry
- Other (please identify)
Select Membership Category (Please Underline)
Health care providers, consumer and advocacy groups, health organizations, businesses, media, faith-based organizations, educators, and the public health community are invited to participate in HANDS. Individual professionals can also become HANDS members.
Please indicate your desired membership category below:
- PUBLIC MEMBER (name and image may be used on the HANDS pages and/or in media and press releases, voting rights)
- ASSOCIATE MEMBER (not currently advocating publicly for herpes awareness, education, and acceptance but would like to participate in quarterly conference calls, network initiatives, and willing to uplift social media campaigns and projects through current available channels, non-voting rights)
To pursue its mission and goals and help avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest, HANDS operates under the following organizing principles:
- Broadly representative: HANDS membership and activities reflect the range of audiences, organizations, and interests that together influence achievement of HANDS goals and values.
- Science-based: HANDS centers its focus and considerations on the best available science and the tenets and requirements of public health inquiry and action.
- Apolitical: HANDS focuses solely on its goals and values and will operate in a manner that is non-partisan and apolitical.
- Autonomous: While striving to define and support achievement of shared purposes among HANDS members, HANDS recognizes and respects the autonomy and independence of its member organizations and individuals.
- Ruled by consensus: HANDS operates on a consultative and consensus-building model, while recognizing that the Steering Committee and The STI Project hold ultimate decision-making responsibility for the policies and activities of HANDS.
- Message control: Only designees can formally commit or officially speak on behalf of HANDS; any and all uses of HANDS name, logo, materials, and activities are subject to the review and approval of the Steering Committee and The STI Project. Members of HANDS will not publicly criticize the work of HANDS among media and non-network members.
- Transparent: HANDS maintains public awareness of its formal membership, activities, and funding, while providing members with the opportunity to opt-out of public identification.
- No commercial endorsement: HANDS does not endorse individuals, products, initiatives, messages, services, or companies. Commercial participation or support for HANDS cannot be attributed as a direct or indirect endorsement of any individual, product, initiative, message, service, or company.
- Only Members have the right to vote. Associate Members are not allowed to vote.
- Members and Associate Members must be invited to join HANDS by the Steering Committee.
- All HANDS work is conducted in a participatory, consultative fashion, involving all HANDS members to the fullest extent possible
- As a condition of participation, all HANDS members (Members and Associate Members) will share and support HANDS overview, goals, and values as stated in the HANDS Goals & Values and will sign the Membership Agreement.
- HANDS members volunteer their time and otherwise invest in supporting the work of HANDS as appropriate (e.g., information sharing).
- HANDS does not consider and advance legislative or regulatory recommendations, but may serve as a forum for discussion of issues related to such purposes.
- HANDS, its members and participating organizations and individuals must respect and maintain autonomy between the work of HANDS and the respective work, policies, initiatives, messages, and services of member organizations and individuals.
- HANDS does not share any personal information (such as phone, email, and address) without member permission.
I agree with and will support the above policies and procedures of the herpes activists network, HANDS.
PRINTED NAME –