Herpes Activists Networking to Dismantle Stigma (HANDS) works with interested organizations, media, and the general public to promote awareness, education, and acceptance through the use of targeted projects, initiatives, and campaigns. Below you’ll find some of our ongoing projects.
Follow our Hashtags on Social Media: #HANDS #HandsStands #AgainstStigma #StandWithHands
Herpes Language Guide
The Herpes Language Guide is the first of its kind around herpes destigmatization and is designed for easy use and distribution to press, media, and journalists. Our guide walks press through non-stigmatizing language and word choice and encourages empathetic, science-based, and inclusive coverage of herpes. The Herpes Language Guide includes a printable, downloadable PDF and online version. Our guide is best used as a companion resource for press and media contacts to review before writing about or reporting on herpes.
25 Ways to Be an Ally
Infographic, downloadable PDF, and social media images for Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook detailing the everyday ways in which people who don’t have herpes can be an ally to those who do.
- Project Manager: Rukiat Ashawe
Herpes in the News
Herpes in the News is a monthly newsletter distributed to our mailing list highlighting recent news, events, and stories about herpes in the press.
- Subscribe to our mailing list here for monthly updates.
Herpes awareness days include social media campaigns, activism initiatives, live events, press opportunities, and more. Check back soon for upcoming events and initiatives related to herpes awareness days.
- Herpes Awareness Day: October 13th
- Sexual Health Awareness Days
Break the Stigma Day: April 24th
Project Manager: Devin Elise Wilson
How You Can Get Involved in BTSD:
- Interview a member of HANDS for your article, website, podcast, YouTube channel, or show.
- Share your story with a member of HANDS to be featured anonymously with their network on BTSD.
- Share your story or experience publicly using the hashtags #btsd #breakthestigma #whatstigma #herpesstigma
- Follow, like, share, and comment on members’ posts by following our hashtags on social media.
- Use our sample social media posts and prompts to highlight herpes awareness, education, and acceptance resources with your network: https://herpes.education/btsdsocialmediaposts/
- Graphic #1, Graphic #2, Graphic #3, Graphic #4
Quarterly Social Media Campaigns
HANDS compiles a social media campaign quarterly for distribution among members, member organizations, media contacts, and the general public through our mailing list. Herpes-themed content is distributed quarterly to coincide with the observance of general sexual health awareness days and holidays as well as current HANDS initiates. Included in each campaign are sample tweets, posts, and links to relevant content. To be a part of the quarterly campaign distribution, please sign up here.
Our awareness infographics are herpes infographics designed by the herpes activists network and distributed on social media and to interested organizations and providers.
- Project Managers: KellyAnne Herman and Courtney Brame (with special thanks to Emily Depasse, Rae Higgins, Laureen HD, and Dr Kelly Martin Schuh)
- PDF with all 5 Graphics
- Graphic #1, Graphic #2, Graphic #3, Graphic #4, Graphic #5
Press & Media
- 1st Ever Herpes Activists Network Launches on Herpes Awareness Day
- Steering Committee Member, Dr Kelly Schuh, and Founder, Jenelle Marie Pierce Talk about Stigma
- Herpes Activists Take Down NYC-Based Sex Educator’s Harmful Content
- Herpes Activists Announce Herpes Stigma Day During STD Awareness Month